What is Investment banking?
Investment Banking involves the provision of financial advisory services to a variety of clients, including governments, individuals, corporations and other entities.
Investment Banks are involved in equity trading, securities underwriting and mergers and acquisitions
The rules that govern the activities of investment banks vary across the world. Depending on locality, they do, however, involve most or all of the following;
- Security underwriting
- Raising capital
- Facilitating mergers and acquisitions
- Equity trading
- Retail and commercial banking
What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) refers to the process by which the number of visitors to a website is maximized using various strategies that are designed to improve its ranking on search engines.
- Search engines play a vital role in linking businesses with their customers. However, competition for dominance in this sector can be fierce. That is largely because most people never click beyond the first few search results, making the first page prime real estate for those who wish to see their companies generating more leads.
SEO Career Prospects in Investment Banking
SEO career prospects in investment banking are bright, and largely driven by the internet revolution, which has been propelling people more and more towards the conveniences of digital finance.
- Nowadays, a well defined Search Engine Optimization strategy is often the difference between the success and failure of any business.
- Investments banks, along with other companies in the financial services sector, have recognized this fact and adopted strategies that are meant to prepare them for the demands of the digital age.
- One way through which they have been doing this has been by hiring in house SEO experts who are tasked with coming up with winning search engine optimization strategies.
- Goldman Sachs, as an example, recently called for applications for the position of “Digital Marketing Manager, Search Engine Optimization & Paid Search” at the GSBank in Chicago.
Duties and Responsibilities of an Investment Banking SEO Specialist
A career as an SEO expert at an Investment Bank usually means that you will be responsible for its digital marketing strategy. This includes efforts to promote your employer on both paid and organic search rankings, as well as taking care of the bank’s social media marketing strategy.
SEO is all about crowds; attracting crowds and standing out from the crowd
- You will thus be responsible for crafting, implementing, measuring and evaluating the bank’s online search engine optimization strategy.
- The job also includes the regular production of original, powerful content as a way of improving the bank’s search engine ranking.
- As an SEO expert, you will be asked to come up with keywords, phrases and articles that properly define the bank’s strategy and are able to attract more visitors to its website.
- You will also be expected to use analytics tools to effectively analyze the results of your firm’s digital marketing efforts.
- A Search Engine Optimization expert at an Investment Bank is also expected to come up with and present reports that clearly spell out the company’s SEO position and strategy.
- It will be your responsibility to advice the bank on its digital trajectory, based on your assessment of SEO results.
- Being an SEO manager at investment banks means that you will be working with a clearly defined set of targets that you have to meet as part of your contribution to the company’s overall growth.
- You will be asked to come up with key performance indicators and benchmarks, against which your results will be compared.
- At the end of the day, you will be asked to account for how much the bank’s search engine ranking improved over a given timeframe, and what this meant in terms of leads and conversions.
- Your role is, in this regard, of paramount importance since you are responsible for attracting, converting and retaining new clients.
What Qualifications do I have to have?
SEO experts at most investment banks are expected to have at least Bachelor’s Degrees and over three years experience in a similar environment.
- They are also expected to have an in-depth understanding of the digital marketing strategies that are of relevance in today’s world.
- For paid searches, experience managing vendors is also a pre-requisite.
- Having a strong background in statistics is also required, due to the fact that SEO experts will be required to rationalize the large amounts of data that are typical of digital marketing.
In house SEO specialists can expect to get paid an average of $40000 per year. This, of course, varies depending on one’s experience and qualifications.